Thursday, September 15, 2011

Camp for the night

We found a turn off 100 km north of Port Hope Simpson, 400 km from Goose Bay. After changing the oil on the Ural I wanted to switch out the rear drive wheel for the spare with fresh rubber. That's when I noticed the spokes were beyond loose! I was able to move the wheel almost and inch each way due to loose spokes. When I went to remove the rear axle for the change out, it was stuck!
After much effort it was my best guess that the axle had been slightly bent preventing it from sliding out with ease.
This dis not sit well, I couldn't get the bad wheel off, and if I could get the spokes fixed I still would be stranded if I got a flat. This could not have been a more remote area for this to happen.
Not being able to locate my spoke wrench, I was able to use an 8mm and a Canadian dime.
The plan was to ride north, check the spokes and make a call around the junction to Cartwright 90km away.

BRGDS
-Noah Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment