Monday, February 20, 2012

Very muddy finish line

Four days, five hundred miles and almost every kind of weather you could expect. Having a heated garage with hot water to clean the bike up made a big difference (thanks Zip).
I ended up using a wire brush and a small wooden dowel to get the cooked on salt off the engine. It was worth it, just didn't like the idea of the Ural sitting for two weeks with salt and dirt everywhere.
Getting very close to 10,000 km on the Ural's odometer iv gotten a good idea of how everything wears and acts in various weather. I started to get a few small leaks out of the oil filter access. This is my fault, I have been re-using the o-ring and bushing. I will replace them and add extra ones to the must have spars list.
The next time I have the final drive apart I will try and add a boot to each of the u-joints. They are exposed and I think a boot from a small call filled with heavy grease will be worth the effort.
The trip overall was great! I can't wait to get home in two days and hop on the bikes. Check back soon for more pictures and ride reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment