Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ride from Castine south

A very interesting day of riding. Getting underway around 0830 I gassed up and headed down the Castine road. Light snow around 2-3" made for a learning experience, the Ural did well and breaking was easy with the duel rear drums. When I reached Belfast I decided to take a break, top off the fuel and plan the rest of the journey.
I was having a fogging issue, unless the visor was opened an inch the inside would fog, this was noisy and cold. I knew there was a motorcycle shop in China off Rt 3.
I surprised the Harley shop rolling in, the folks at North Country Harley-Davidson were great. I was welcomed with a hot cup of coffee and questions about the Ural. After warming up, and buying some anti fog spray I was off.
I headed to my friends shop in Augusta to talk politics and get more coffee. Not finding Skip at the shop I headed to Bowdoinham. The freezing rain made it a very difficult leg. I was stoping every 15 min to clear my face shield. By the time I reached the town line, I have the visor up just to see the road. Getting to the Mackenzie manor I was greeted by Skip and Jack (dog). After a cup of coffee and a PB&J we were well into politics and business.
Two hours later the skies had cleared, my gear was dry and I was off. The road to Portland was cold but clear. I stopped in Falmouth to meet up with Reed and visit for a bit. I couldn't believe it, at the York tolls the temperature went to 50 and sunny.
All and all it was a fun ride, I learned a lot about riding in foul weather. The biggest lesson, take your time plan for lots of stops and breaks. I avoided sparsely populated areas when traveling at night.

BRGDS

Noah Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment